Land for Keevil airfield was requisitioned in 1941 under emergency powers with the intention of returning it to the owners when hostilities ceased. The principal.
Up until March 1944 the Airfield was used by the US Air Force, but following their relocation the RAF located two squadrons (Nos. 196 and 299) of Stirling aircraft.
RAF Keevil could have a new runway built by the Ministry of Defence, to train pilots to deal with difficult conditions on bases in Afghanistan.